12 Day Countdown Until Christmas Kit
On the FIRST day of Christmas my Missionary Mom sent to me… a Missionary 12 Day Countdown Until Christmas care package!
We wanted to find a way to spread out the Holiday Cheer for our Missionaries & make them
& their Companions feel special & loved throughout this wonderful Christmas season. So with a little creative license we put our own spin on ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me’ song…. and sent a fun and spiritual countdown care package.
If you would like to send your own ’12 Day Countdown Until Christmas’ to your Missionary – check out this kit we put together to help you do just that!
Your 14-Page Kit will include the following:
✔ 1-Introduction Letter with easy to follow instructions to help you put together the Perfect Care Package.
✔ 4- Large (11.5X8.5″) Adjustable Stickers to decorate your 4 box flaps of your shipping package. Just peel and stick! (These stickers are designed to fit a USPS Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box and large UPS boxes. The stickers can also be easily trimmed to fit a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box as well as some Medium and Small UPS boxes or use your own box.) * Please note the kit does not include the actual box,
✔ 1-Box Introduction Letter to be placed in your Box right before you tape it up. This unique design lets your Missionary know the theme of your care package and that something special has been created just for them!
✔ 1-Page of Unique Envelope Designs that you can adhere to the front of your Letter to your Missionary and their Companion! This page is also printed on sticker paper – so you just need to cut them out and adhere to any envelope of your choice. It’s that easy!
✔ 1-Custom Missionary Letter for you to include with your personal Letter to your Missionary.
✔ 4-Pages with 24 Custom Tags that Can Be Used to put together your Missionary 12 Days of Christmas or use throughout Your Box as Desired.
✔ 1-Page of Christmas Gift Tags and Quotes to continue with the theme of the box.
✔ 1-Page of Christmas gift ideas and shopping hints to use for your 12 Day Countdown.
For Ideas to help you put together the perfect Missionary Care Package, how you can use each Printable, to find links to print General Conference talks and other stories to include in your box – look below!
Bells On Bobsleds Ring! Making Spirits Bright! Each Mom took 1 or 2 of the Days and purchased a gift for each of our 8 Missionaries – but this would be really easy to do on your own if you are only shopping for your missionary. We wanted to do things that were small but meaningful and give our Missionaries a little taste of Home. Depending on the size of the box you are sending – you could include or delete any of the following items – or come up with a few of your own. We included the 12-Day poems inside the wrapped daily packages with numbers to open on the outside so the gifts would be a surprise and the poem wouldn’t give it away.
Up On The Rooftop! It’s always so fun to see the pictures our Missionaries send home of them opening up their crazy boxes decorated in whatever the theme of the box is. All of the stress from your hard work and planning will disappear the moment you get that email from your Missionary talking about your care package! (And Bonus! Fun Pictures emailed home!)
Remember to include a letter for both your Missionary and their Companion! We always let them know how much we appreciated the privilege to serve them as they were serving our Savior Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father.
Missionary 12 Days of Christmas
In the Missionary Box Moms Kit (Instant Download) for this box are printables for you to wrap inside with your daily countdown gifts plus numbered tags for the outside so they know which order to open them in. (Otherwise the poems would give your gift away!)
Day 1 – December 14
On the First Day of Christmas
your loved ones give to ye;
not a Partridge – not a Pear
but a Decorated Tree!
It reminds us of your service
to our Father up above,
we think of you so often and
we’re sending you our Love!
(Green Butcher Paper Christmas Tree, Green paper Hand-prints from family and friends with messages to the missionary, Family Picture Decorations, Battery operated Lights, Pine Cone Scent, Tinsel, 3M Command Hooks and 3M Wall Tape)
Yes this ‘Tree’ took quite a bit of effort on our part but it was probably our Missionaries Favorite thing we sent them for Christmas each year since it had love from so many people on it that they knew!
To make your own Butcher Paper Tree you will need the following supplies:
1. Two pieces of Green Butcher Paper – Each 6 to 7 Feet Long
2. Small piece of Brown Butcher Paper – For the Trunk
3. Clear Packing Tape (To tape the 2 pieces of Green Butcher Paper together on the backside of the tree and also to attach the small brown trunk.)
4. 1 Ream of Green Printer Paper (For the Hand-prints)
5. 1 Yellow Poster Board (For the Star)
6. Double Stick Tape (To attach Hands)
Don’t worry! The tree folds up into a small package (shown on left) so you can easily mail it and it is surprisingly durable with many foldings and unfoldings! After you make your tree – fold it up and press the creases really well so that after you add everything onto the tree it is easier to fold back up! The Goal is to get it folded into a size smaller than the box you are sending.
1. Place your two pieces of Green Butcher paper side by side lengthwise and overlap them about 3 inches from top to bottom.
2. Tape your two pieces of Green Butcher paper together lengthwise with clear packing tape on both the front and back sides.
(The Packing Tape is approx. 3 inches wide.)
3. Using a pencil draw a tree shape on your Green Butcher Paper making your ‘Branches’ fairly thick.
4. Cut out your tree shape that you have just drawn. It doesn’t need to be perfectly symmetrical – so don’t stress!
5. Fold up your tree.
6. First fold tree in half from right side to left side. (Like a Taco)
7. Then fold it in half again right side to left side.
8. Then fold it in half from top to bottom. (Tuck in a fold stray ‘Branches’.)
4. And again from top to bottom.
You can choose whether or not to attach all the hands and ornaments before shipping – or you could let your Missionary ‘Decorate’ their own tree. Most of us attached at least the hands to the tree because it does take some time – then they could add the ‘Photo Ornaments’ when they received it. If you are going to attach the ornaments for them tho – here is a Great Tip! After you make your tree and fold it – place the ornaments on first making sure to place them inside one of the squares made during the folding of your tree. That way the pictures on the ornaments are ruined. Then place your hands on with double-stick tape around the photos.
It does take a bit of time to get ‘Enough’ Hands to cover your entire tree – so plan ahead and start in October!!! To cover one tree you can decide how many hands to collect – but to make sure I had enough I carried a ream of green paper and Sharpie Markers in my car and to church so that and every time I saw someone that I needed a hand from I at least hand it handy! Have each person outline their hand with the Sharpie then write a Christmas Message inside the hand-print with their name also inside the outline – so when you cut it out you know whom its from.
Don’t Forget Anyone!
3. Church Members (Bishopric, Stake Presidency, Former YW or YM Leaders, Primary Children)
4. Former Seminary Teachers
5. Former Coaches, Music Teachers, Choir Coaches, etc.
6. Former favorite Teachers, School Advisers, Administration
7. Former Teammates (At least the younger ones are still around)
8. We even did our dog’s paw and tail print for the tree!
It does take quite a bit of time to cut out all of those hands – so plug in some Christmas movies and Cut Away!!!
To make the star for the top of the Christmas Tree it is better to use Yellow Poster Board or Yellow Card Stock Paper. The poster board will be more durable – but just make sure when you cut it out it is not larger than the ‘Box’ you will be sending it to your missionary in – so it doesn’t have to have a fold in it.
Enclosed in with our ‘Tree’ we added Pine Scents flat ornaments to give it a Christmas Tree smell in their Missionary apartments!
We also purchased a set of tiny Christmas lights that had a battery pack in them so that our Missionaries all around the world could have Tree Lights without having to worry about wattage and converters and what not! To hang up the tree on their walls without damaging them – we sent 3M Command Tape Strips and 3M Command Hooks for the lights.
To make your Family & Friend Ornaments Just Get Creative!
1. Print off any pictures of friends and family in a Wallet size print – then you won’t need to trim them much at all and they fit on the ornaments just right!
2. If you purchase a Christmas pack of Die Cut Shapes you simply attach the pictures to the center of them and you are all done! But you can also use white paper snowflake doilies, Round Circles cut out of Christmas paper, pre-made Christmas present tags (Super Easy – and they already have a ribbon attached!), or print some you find off the Internet.
Depending on if your ornament item has glitter on it or not – you may want to attach the photo to it with Glue Dots so they stay on really well in transit.
3. You can either pre-affix the ornaments to the tree or let your missionary ‘Decorate’ their own tree.
Day 2 – December 15
On the Second Day of Christmas
Two Turtle Doves were on our list;
bringing something fun for you to eat
so you know that you are missed!
So, sit down; take off your shoes,
here’s something you’ll adore.
This treat will give you energy
as you tract from door to door!
(Turtle Chocolates, Dove Chocolates, Jelly filled Gummy Turtles wrapped in a cute container)
Day 3 – December 16
On the Third day of Christmas
Three French Hens were hard to find;
so we swapped it up a bit
and we didn’t think you’d mind!
Three pairs of fuzzy socks
and a drinks our gift to you,
we hope they keep your tootsies warm,
and warms up your stomach too!
(Elders – 2 pair of black socks w/ 1 pair of fuzzy Christmas socks. Sisters – 2 pair of colorful tights w/ 1 pair of fuzzy Christmas socks. Hot Cider packets)
Day 4 – December 17
On the Fourth Day of Christmas
Four Calling Birds come add a little glee;
with some special products to
give your lips some therapy!
So cream some on that smile of yours;
as you go and spread good news,
with the spirit on your side
we know you just can’t lose!
(4 Lip Care Items – Burt’s Bees Lip Balm, EOS Lip Care (Evolution of Smooth), C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Balm from Bath & Body Works, Called to Serve Lip Balm from Deseret Book, Carmex, Vaseline, Softlips products, Blistex Fruit Smoothies Lip Protectant in 4-Pack.)
Day 5 – December 18
On the Fifth Day of Christmas
these Golden days Ring by so fast;
we wanted to provide you with
something that would last
A helpful little something that will
make your planning cheery,
So that all your daily tasks
will not make you too weary!
(Deseret Book 2-Month Planner w/Photos, 6X6 Spiritual Calendar from Deseret Book, Elder or Sister Missionary Planner Cover Stickers from Deseret Book, Dollar Tree Weekly Page Format Planner.)
Day 6 – December 19
On the Sixth Day of Christmas
6 Geese A-Laying might be suspicious
but, take a closer look,
these could be delicious!
We wish we could be with you,
the Spirit is just so right,
Instead we send these tasty treats
to helps you celebrate this night!
(Christmas Snowmen or Gingerbread Peeps, Cadbury Eggs in an Egg Carton, Christmas Eggs, Egg Custard, Pancakes & Syrup)
Day 7 – December 20
On the Seventh Day of Christmas
and we are halfway done.
Remember there’s No Peeking,
or you’ll spoil all the fun!
Seven Swans went A-Swimming
to find some Christmas Tales
so sit and take a moment
to read up on the details.
We hope that they remind you
of our everlasting love,
and all the special blessings
Father grants us from above.
(General Conference Ensign, Book: ‘Filled with Mercy – Daily Reflections on the Atonement @ Deseret Book, Conference Talks on Missionary Work, the Savior, or Christmas)
Day 8 – December 21
On the Eighth day of Christmas
8 Maids were out A-Milking
when much to their delight,
Yummy Chocolate Milk came out
Oh My! Instead of white!
We love to celebrate the day
our Savior Jesus Christ was born
so, stop and think about it
drink some Cocoa & eat Popcorn!
(Hot Chocolate, Marshmallows, Candy Cane Stirrers, Lisa’s Passion for Popcorn – Kaysville, Popcorn Cottage – Layton Hills Mall, Pop Art Gourmet Popcorn in Kaysville or Layton, Hallmark North Pole Drink Cups from Wal Mart, Orville Redenbacher Pop Up Popcorn Bowls)
Day 9 – December 22
On the Ninth day of Christmas
we know you’re working hard,
Nine ladies come A-Dancing
With more than just a card.
It’s sure to keep you cheerful
and happy as could be,
so dance a jig or two…
and try to think of Thee!
(The Missionary Collection by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or a Christmas CD, Set Apart: Beloved Missionary Hymns, The Work: a Nashville tribute to the Missionaries, The Forgotten Carols CD, O Holy Night by Jackie Evancho, Hymns Pocket Size w/name engraved)
Day 10 – December 23
On the Tenth day of Christmas
the big day will soon be here,
you know how much we love you
at this special time of year.
Ten Lords A-Leaping would be
a super awesome gift
but sadly they got stuck jumping
through a white snowdrift!
Instead, here’s a new toothbrush
to brighten up your smile
remember to brush up and down
and use it for a while
flash those pearly whites
for everyone to see
It will help you be the missionary
that you want to be!
(Toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, mouthwash, Mints, Altoids Smalls, breathe spray)
Day 11 – December 24
On the Eleventh Day of Christmas
Pipers Piping have been making
Sugar Cookies fresh and hot
smells just like butter baking!
On the Night before Christmas and all through your house,
not a creature will be stirring, not even a mouse;
these stockings were stuffed by your family with care,
with hopes that your Christmas is more than just fair.
So open your goodies – the socks are full to the top,
with much love from your family that never will stop!!!
(Sugar Cookie Mix, Cookie Cutter, Frosting, Oven Mitt, Two Christmas Stockings – One for Elder/Sister and one for their Companion stuffed with goodies and gifties, Christmas Jammies)
Day 12 – December 25
On the Twelfth Day of Christmas
Twelve Drummers are A-Drumming
beating out a cadence
to let you know the day’s forthcoming.
Christmas Day is very special
even though you’re miles from home;
Whisperings of the Spirit tell us
you are not alone.
This gift you will enjoy
at all times of the year,
so keep our thoughts close by
and help us to feel near.
(Missionary T-Shirt or Air Mormon Shirt, Personalized Bath Towel, Personalized fleece knee blanket throw, Draw String Pack Sacks for P-Day, Personalized Missionary Aprons, Homemade Smash Book, Testimony Letters from Family, etc.)
Shopping List for the 12 Days Items
(You should be able to find a lot of these items in multiple places – but below you can see where we were able to find the fun items!)
Dollar Tree Store
1. Weekly Page Format Planner (Day 5)
2. Toothbrushes (Day 10)
3. Jingle Bell Necklace (For Stocking) (Day 11)
4. Musical Christmas Ties (For Stocking) (Day 11)
5. Sweet Stripes Candy Cane Sticks (Day 8)
6. Small Christmas Boxes (3-Pack) (Day 3)
7. Small Metal Santa Lunchbox (Day 10)
8. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Lip Pops (Day 10)
9. Hot Pad Holder (Day 11)
1. Marshmallow Snowman Peeps (Day 6)
2. Gingerbread Peeps (Day 6)
3. Cadbury Chocolate Eggs (Day 6)
4. Listerine Oral Mist (Day 10)
5. Altoids Smalls Peppermints (Day 10)
6. Gum Softpicks or Floss (Day 10)
7. Hot Chocolate Packets (Day 8)
8. Toothpaste (Day 10)
1. Christmas Notepads (For Stocking) (Day 11)
2. Green Butcher Paper (Tree) (Day 1)
3. Brown Butcher Paper (Tree Trunk) (Day 1)
4. Yellow Poster Board (Tree Star) (Day 1)
5. Ornament Die Cuts (Attach Family Photos – For Tree) (Day 1)
1. King Size Caramel Nut Clusters in Bar Shape (Day 2)
2. Chocolate Turtles (Day 2)
3. Battery Operated LED Colored Rice Lights (Tree) (Day 1)
4. Spiritual Christmas Cards (Box of 12)
5. Ornament Die Cuts (Attach Family Photos – For Tree) (Day 1)
6. Gingerbread Man Spatula (Day 11)
7. Santa Spatula (Day 11)
1. 6X6 Calendars (Day 5)
2. General Conference Ensign (Day 7)
3. Softcover Christmas Books $2.99 to $4.95 (Day 7)
4. Moroni Up Lanyard (For Stocking) (Day 11)
5. Book: Filled With Mercy – Daily Reflections on the Atonement (Day 7)
6. Elder or Sister Christmas Stocking (Day 11)
7. Christmas Music CD’s (Day 9)
8. Parley Street Sugar Cookie Mix in Gingham Sack (Day 11)
1. Alpine Spiced Apple Cider Packets (10)
2. North Pole Snow in a Can (Just for Fun)
3. Batteries (For Tree Lights)(Day 1)
4. Small Christmas Boxes (We used the ones designated for gift cards and took out the gift card holder part.) (Day 2) (Day 4)
5. Hershey’s Chocolate Mint Candy Canes (For Stocking) (Day 11)
6. Gobstopper Wonka Color Changing Candy Canes (For Stocking) (Day 11)
7. Pine Cone Scent Flat Ornament (Day 1)
8. 3M Command Hooks (To hang lights on tree) (Day 1)
9. 3M Wall Tape (To attach Tree to Wall) (Day 1)
10. Double Stick Tape (To attach Green Hands to Tree)
11. Holiday Time Tinsel Garland .98 cents (For Tree) (Day 1)
12. Dove Chocolates (Day 2)
13. Christmas Fuzzy Socks (Day 3)
14. Blistex Fruit Smoothies Lip Protectant in 4-Pack (Day 4)
15. Hallmark North Pole Drink Cups (Day 8)
16. Orville Redenbacher Pop Up Popcorn Bowls 3-Pack (Day 8)
17. Christmas Music CD’s (Day 9)
18. Gourmet Club Cookie Cutter Set of 6 (Day 11)
19. Cookie Frosting Tube (Day 11)
Ross Dress for Less Store
1. Bright Colored Ped Socks for Sisters (Day 3)
2. Warm Socks for Elders (Day 3)
As an additional idea to do for the 12th Day ~ Lisa put together a small Family Scrap Book for her Elder from an Elf Magic Misc. Me Life Journal by BoBunny. She added thoughts, quotes, scriptures, family photos, photos of companions, and had family members sign a Christmas Notes to him throughout the book.